Saturday, March 24, 2012

Obsession with words

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words. I've always wondered who "they" were and what made them think that a photograph was worth 1,000 words. Regardless, I've written 100 photographs worth of words this month. Yes I have written 100,000 words. That's two NaNoWriMo challenges in one month. I'm not trying to brag, honest. I'm just flabbergasted.

As I've said it before, I am a bit crazy. I'm a bit obsessed once I get onto something I really like. For example, the other day I downloaded a new game on my phone and because it's so awesome, I've been playing it all day. Oh, and I've spent money on it, something I swore I'd never do with a phone game.

This obsession translates into my writing. Once I get into a story that I really adore, I just hack away at it until I either collapse from exhaustion or its done. The current work is 14 chapters long in 168 pages. This isn't including the little side-scene I wrote for it which may or may not make it into the main body.

I know someone out there is going to ask "how did you manage that?" I have no idea. Besides lacking a social life, working better under stress and having an insane obsession with things, I have no clue. I wouldn't suggest the first two though. One makes you somewhat anit-social and the other makes you want to jump off a cliff one moment and laugh giddily the next.

Besides that, I did want to mention that because of this insanity I have decided to modify one of my goals for this year. Instead of trying to write 500,000 words, I'm going to 600,000. I know, not much of an increase and technically I'm just over one sixth of the way there.

But who's to say I'll have another 100,000 word month before NaNoWriMo 2012? I might completely die once I finish this story. I kind of hope not, I've still got seven more months of the 12in12 challenge to complete before my final month in November.

Either way, I've written more then I could imagine this month. I want to thank everyone who has given me wonderful comments (even if they didn't know they were) and everyone who's actually reading this blog. Now I'm off to torture my poor (but loyal) fingers and write more.

Maybe one day I will sate this word obsession but the forecast is cloudy with a chance of "ha, yeah right." Until then, I'll amuse myself with writing about bi-polar mages, cowardly dragons, not-for-children fairy tales and whatever else strikes my fancy. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment